Wednesday, March 12, 2008

He is mighty to save!

Last summer I began to constantly be reminded of Zephaniah 3:17...particularly the first sentence. "The LORD your God is with you, He is mighty to save." There were many things in that sentence for me to process over the next season of my life. That fact I am His and He is mine, the promise of my LORD always being with me, trying to understand God's mighty-ness, and praising Him each time He was there to save me.

Today I heard my mom tell me the oncologist had called Jimmy in for an unscheduled appointment. There were test done, there will be more test done, and we'll have the results Monday.

Still pondering what those test results could mean I began to listen to three sermons. They weren't really a series but touched on areas that are quite impossible without God. The first was about prayer and how ultimately we don't know how to pray or what to pray for without the Holy Spirit. We can't get past the selfishness of the human heart without some help from God. The third sermon was on forgiveness. He spoke about how reconciliation is impossible without the Lord. (side note...these sentences do the sermons any sort of justice, but for the sake of keeping your attention I kept my summary very minimal) In the midst of listening to this man preach about forgiveness I was reading another man's sermon on friendship (the Lord's funny like that). The sermon I was editing used the follow ancient proverb...I found it very good for me to hear today:

"A friend is one to whom we may pour out the contents of our heart, chaff and gain together, knowing that the gentlest of hands will sift it, keep what is worth keeping, and with a breath of kindness blow the rest away."

I pray that I can be that kind of friend. I'm not always good at being kind and gentle but I'm working towards it. These last few weeks I have turned more inward than I ever have. I've stayed home more, kept thoughts to myself more, spent time with just me...though I'm thankful for this time, reading this quote made me remember that we aren't meant to go through life alone. I'm so thankful for my friends. I'm also thankful for Jesus. Through all the uncertainties of tomorrow...in my life and in the world, I'm still being reminded the the LORD my God is with me, He is mighty to save! I'm so very thankful for that today.

1 comment:

Melissa P. said...

that is my very favorite verse!!:) you are a wonderful friend and i am glad you are mine!! praying for jimmy....