Friday, June 16, 2006

to be a kid again

Today I heard one of my co-workers say, "They are just smelling themselves." This was in reference to middle schoolers, you know 12 and 13 year olds. We all thought it was hilarious. My boss says, "oh yeah, when my son was 13 we used to say, 'don't mind him, he got a hormone.' " You never know what will be discussed around Friday morning breakfast with the co-workers. I'm just glad I'm done with that phase....gosh!

The conversation started because I was talking about working VBS all week. I was the lead teacher for the 5th and 6th grade bible study. Needless to say this was quite different from the Team Games track time I was originally supposed to lead. Anyway, it turned out to not be all that bad. I had such a great team of teachers that were so flexible and ready to do whatever! The kids were good too. As much as I don't want to be in 5th and 6th grade again...since majority of them were "smelling themselves" but they did teach me some things along the way. It was nice to read back over some of the "classics" in the Bible and try and think of fun ways to memorize scripture. I'm glad it's over but I'm just as glad that it happened!

I pray that each of you has the courage to know...to trust...to believe...to follow...to speak out. They seem simple and somewhat childish...but I realized this week that I was trying to teach the kids these things I needed to be teaching myself.

No comments: