Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Here I am, Lord

I've been traveling for the last week. Apart from a few life changing summer camps and incredibly powerful mission trips, this week will go down in the history book of my life as one of my favorites! I've been at the children's home for two years now. Earlier this summer the Lord showed me that this is not just a job to take a lightly, but that is my ministry. I began to see each day as life on the mission field...though days stuck behind a computer quickly began to become mundane. That all changed this past week. I spent everyday on one of our campuses spending time with our amazing children and talking with house parents. I love this picture. I took it during the sunrise from our Boys Ranch outside of Memphis. Its a little peice of heaven to me.


I've grown up going on mission trips to other states and other countries. This week I was once again reminded that our Lord is mighty and big and also loves His children here in Nashville and Tennessee. I heard stories from our children that moved me to tears. I heard house parents speak of answering the Lord's call in their lives to be full time missionaries for the Children's Home. I heard both of them talk about miracles happening in the lives of the children and how God is using this place to further His Kingdom and to spread His love. Its an exciting thing to be a part of. I'm humbled God would choose me and I'm excited about what great things He is doing in the lives of the children He has placed in our care.



Here is a snapshot of things I heard:
"If I hadn't of come to the children's home, I would be dead. We never had enough food so I figure I would have starved to death."

"I'm a houseparent because the Lord tells us to take of His children...the least of these."

"When I look into the eyes of these children I see the love of Christ. I see hope that can only come from an almightly Father who lavishes His on these dear children."


I was home for two days before I went back on the road. One of those nights I spent back at First Baptist for a retirement service for their minister of music. The choir sang a song that echoed everything I had heard the Lord calling me towards as I spent time with the children on our campuses. I don't know what my future holds. I don't know how long I will be at TBCH. I hope its a long time. I want to be useful and I want to help make a difference in the lives our children and help them see that there is a God who will always love them. The following is the song the choir sang that spoke to me as an affirmation that we are all called to be minsters of Christ wherever He sends us and to pray for His people. My prayer that is I will always remember I serve a God who hears his people cries and that I am willing to go wherever he sends me. If you have a minute today, I would appreciate it if you would stop and pray for the children at TBCH. They have lived hard lives and are in so much need of hope and joy.

I, the Lord of sea and sky,
I have heard my people cry.
All who dwell in dark and sin,
My hand will save.

Chorus
Here I am, Lord. Is it I, Lord?
I have heard you calling in the night.
I will go, Lord, if you lead me.
I will hold your people in my heart.

I, who made the stars of night,
I will make their darkness bright.
Who will bear my light to them?
Whom shall I send?

Chorus
I, the Lord of snow and rain,
I have borne my people’s pain.
I have wept for love of them.
They turn away.

Chorus

I will break their hearts of stone,
Give them hearts for love alone.
I will speak my words to them.
Whom shall I send?

Chorus

I, the Lord of wind and flame,
I will send the poor and lame.
I will set a feast for them.
My hand will save.

Chorus

Finest bread I will provide,'
Til their hearts be satisfied.
I will give my life to them.
Whom shall I send?

Here I am, Lord. Is it I, Lord?
I have heard you calling in the night.
I will go, Lord, if you lead me.
I will hold your people in my heart.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing. Love the pictures and love hearing your perspective on your work. I'm thankful that the children have people who are willing to invest in their lives and pray for God's saving grace towards them.