Wednesday, April 23, 2008

the plastics

A few weeks ago I heard a friend tell me that I really need to stop re-using plastic water bottles b/c it would kill me. They followed with also not using nalgene bottles over and over.

This idea of plastic ware not being safe anymore came up again last week in a conversation with some girl friends. I was then told to get rid of all my plastic Tupperware and only use glass.

I began to ask around and get other peoples thoughts and knowledge on the subject. Some told me not to microwave things in plastic and to definitely only use a plastic water bottle once. Then I heard I shouldn't even have plastic dishes. I friend sent me to this website where it kind of brakes down what is "good" and "bad" as far as the different plastics.

Apparently the scare is that the "bad" plastics leach cancer causing chemicals into food, water, onto toys, etc. Really people? More cancer? So I started thinking (as someone who is VERY familiar to the effects of cancer) if I talk on a cell phone, use the microwave, and sometimes sit too close to the TV...aren't I already going to get cancer? What's some water from my plastic cups going to hurt?

A few websites list things like baby bottles and toys as highly dangerous. SERIOUSLY? Have we not been using these for years? Is the key to stopping cancer? not using plastics? I guess I'm just having a hard time buying it. While I have refrained from re-using water bottles...I'm just not sure about the other stuff.

If you have any insight or more knowledge about this please let me know, I'm quite interested.

2 comments:

Jess(ica) said...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/22/health/22well.html?em&ex=1209096000&en=8a1d4bc01b9099f4&ei=5087%0A

I think this is a pretty good article that explains what the effects are and which products specifically to avoid. It is the plastics made with bisphenol-A, which Nalgene has used for a long time, and they have since announced they will no longer be using. I agree that "everything" causes cancer these days, and we might just all get it one way or the other. But if its a sure thing that this type of plastic is harmful, I would be remiss in not avoiding it. SIGG water bottles (you can google it) are very safe, as are Kleen Kanteens. I bought a SIGG a few months ago when I first heard that Canada was probably going to ban the hard #7 plastics made with bisphenol-A.

I think its important to put this "plastic" hysteria in some perspective. Its easy for people to speculate its all plastics, which in turn makes us reluctant to make any change, because the idea of throwing away all the plastic in our homes is quite daunting, not to mention expensive. As long as we are using safe plastics, we should continue to (no sense in clogging up the landfills with safe plastics). But it is important to note that the government is taking this very seriously, as are retailers like Walmart. When these guys get involved, I think its more than just speculation and folklore (which I believe cell phones and microwaves scares are).

Just my two cents. :)

molly said...

well, you probably know my stance on this issue in that it leans more toward the environmentally friendly side. you're probably sick of hearing about it, too. sorry!

but it's true. those evil emissions are released by the plants that manufacture the plastic bottles. we don't need anymore of those (because they contribute to global warming.. it exists!) so it's good to avoid plastic all together. you know.. that whole supply/demand thing.

here's what you do: go to fresh market, buy a GLASS Voss water bottle and reuse that one. give it a good washing every couple of days and you'll be cancer causing chemical-free and environmentally friendly. what more could you ask for?!

but tupperware kind of grosses me out anyway. after only a few uses, stains start to appear on the sides that are impossible to get rid of and there's got to be some kind of bacteria festering away in all that mess. I think you'd have to eat out of a plastic container that's been heated in the microwave meal after meal week after week for anything really harmful to happen to you, but i don't want to take any chances.

let's strike up a deal. you keep all your recyclable materials in a separate bin in your apartment and i'll be your personal curb-side pick up and come get it from you once a week! i'll even buy you the trash can to put it all in. deal??