Thursday, July 10, 2008

nothing is different, but everything's changed

Last night I heard David White tell me, "You'll be shocked to see how much has changed...and how much hasn't." The fact that David was telling me was a sure sign of how much hasn't, however the faces of the students, the addition of buildings, and the permission to bring your ipod and portable DVD player were huge signs that it has.

The Blue Horizon...I can't believe I'm going back there on Sunday...as a leader. To be honest, I can't believe it's still there...and the same for the most part - with the exception of few new buildings. When I agreed to help out with camp this summer it may have been partly because of how significant this location is to my life and who I am today. Some of my most vivid memories of God teaching me, molding me, and walking right beside are from moments at camp at the Blue Horizon. It's where I met and became what has turned into life long friends with many of you who are reading this blog. Of course I said yes to going back, who wouldn't want to watch a whole new generation of students make these same amazing memories.

This new generation though...they make me feel so old. I realize (especially for those of you who are older than me) that I am not that old. But these students, I don't know what it is. I guess just a sign of "the times." And thanks to things like cell phones, the Internet, and limited too, which we did not have when I was growing up, has allowed youth to grow up just a bit faster in some areas. Though I'm not too far removed from that stage in life I feel as though their lives are vastly different from mine at that age and its a bit hard to relate to.

So much seems as though it has changed. Then I see my name on the list as one of the boundary people for the "night walks" on the beach...oh, how none of it has changed...I'll be ready with my flashlight.

All this to say...it should be interesting week. It will be very strange to be there with all new people instead of most of you. I hope they realize what a treasure this place is. I hope they turn off their cell phones long enough to catch a glimpse of what the Lord is trying to show them. I hope I turn mine off long enough to do the same. If you think about it, pray for us this week!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you are going and I look foward to getting to know you better this week.

Cherilyn said...

Have I told you yet how excited I am that you're going to be at camp? Because this only cements it. Thank you for sharing your time and energy and gifts with us.

Hitch and stomp!

Betty Norwood said...

I am so excited that you are going to camp! 1998, our last year at Blue Horizon before transitioning to Doublehead, was my first camp experience. You were a sophomore. That was the first year Jonathan allowed me to work with the youth. As you can see, my life was changed at Blue Horizon as well.

Sarah Stephens said...

I'm not sure I can bring sexy back...AGAIN! Once you've done it once, the mystery is gone.

Mary Frances Satterwhite said...

Wow, I can't believe it's back to Blue Horizon. I have SOO many memories there. I am so grateful at what God taught me in that place. I hope your week is going well. I can't wait to hear about it. And see pictures!