Monday, August 18, 2008

a late bloomer

I don't read. There are a few reasons why...but ultimately I would rather be doing anything else. When the Harry Potter books first came on the scene I didn't really think about it because I don't read. I liked the movies and was entertained by them, but I knew I would never read the books and wasn't all that curious as to what happened next.

However, last labor day I was stuck in the car for hours driving to the beach with some HUGE Harry Potter fans. My friend Scott was reading the 4th book and in order to please the driver we began to read the book outloud. I was hooked. Hooked enough to go buy the 4th book (Goblet of Fire) the night we got back so that I could finish the last 3 chapters. I also bought the 5th book (Order of the Phoenix) at the same time because I knew I would be ready for it soon. The Order of the Phoenix might have been the first book I've read the entire way through in a VERY long time.

All good things came to an end however and about 1/2 way through the first chapter of book 6 (The Half-Blood Prince) I knew I was done. I think it goes back to not being all that emotionally involved with characters...I'm not sure what it is. It's the same with TV shows, I can watch it one week and be ok with not seeing what happens the next week. I was fine to just stop going to Hogwarts and fine to give up on Harry and his quest to fight the Dark Lord. And so I did.

...until last week! All the friendships came back, Ron was still there being adorable, Dumbledore as wise as ever just waiting for me to return. What did it? Book on tape. I got to hear it, just like when I read it aloud. It was so much more real to me when I heard the story being told (granted I didn't agree with all the voices). We listened to it on the way to and from the beach. I continued to listen non-stop in my car and towards the end I would read the book when I was home and listen in my car.

I finished the Half-Blood Prince on Friday night. Once again I was content to be done and not read 7. I was sad and didn't really want to know what happened next. UNTIL I GOT BOOK 7 ON CD!!! Thank you Sam Stephens for continually keeping my love of all things wizard-y alive. I was super excited and can't wait to continue story.

3 comments:

Lele said...

sweet sam! you got some great birthday gifts!

Michael and Jana said...

I'm so glad you are back to being in love with Harry and the gang. It is by far the best set of books on tape there is. With the seventh book, I read the entire book page by page and then went back and listened to it because it is just that good.
I will warn you though. Don't think that you will ever find another series on tape that comes close. I have tried and been sorely mistaken.

Erin said...

I'm a late bloomer too. I didn't read any Harry Potter books and had only seen a couple of the movies until recently. Now I'm obesessed with all things Harry Potter! The only book I have left to read is the last one and I know I'm going to be sad when it's over! Oh and I heard the next movie release got pushed back by 8 months and won't be out until sometime next year intead of this December!