Tuesday, August 14, 2007

oh, country music

Growing up I was very quick to say that I did not like country music. I'm pretty sure I would even use the word "hate" occasionally. It wasn't until I went away to college that I discovered I do like most country music. I think initially I felt like I owed it to Nashville, my hometown, to stick up for country music when I moved away. I began to appreciate the old country and "the legends" and I started really like some of the new stuff...you know the dixie chicks, faith hill, tim mcgraw. I think I always liked Vince Gill (thanks to the Gentry's and me having to watch CMT everymorning before the bus came) and Garth Brooks. But slowly I started keeping the radio on country stations more and more.

Which brings us to today. I currently keep a steady rotation between soft rock (92.9), new indie music (lightning 100), NPR, and my country station of choice 97.9 wsix - mainly b/c of Jerry House in the mornings! So I got to lunch today and its on 97.9 from this morning and this song comes on that I haven't heard before...but the voices are very familiar. I come to the conclusion that it is Tim and Faith, however, the lyrics were HORRIBLE!

It was an obvious love song about two people needing the other person which is sweet and all but then chorus started off with:
"I need you like a needle needs a vain..."
for whatever reason that was the least romantic comparison I would have thought to have made and just thought it was really funny. It went on to say that he also needed her, "like the Father and Son need the Holy Ghost..." Seriously?? they were serious.

I think one of the reasons I have a heard time always liking country music is because the lyrics are so ... I don't know, blatent...which I guess is why some people like it b/c it is rarely sugar coated but I just thought it was really funny. I don't I'll want my husband to ever want me like needle wants a vein...but I guess it works for some folks!

speaking of funny lyrics...i do LOVE the new Brad Paisley song, "TICKS" incredibly clever!

No comments: