Thursday, December 20, 2007

fake jake


BACKGROUND: This is my friend Jake. I met Jake last year in my hometown of Pineville, LA. Our grandparents are friends and our parents grew up together. He moved up to Nashville at the beginning of year and lived with my parents for a bit. Jake has a way important job managing bands and is SO important that he has two cell phones. One for work, and for his personal life.

THE STORY: Last Friday I was chillin at my A.P.T. watching some Gilmore Girls (I'm about to start season 6...I haven't watched anything else but GG since Thanksgiving!). I get this text message from a phone number not saved in my phone.


Text: Hey, it's Jake. What are you up to?
I instantly assume its my Jake and he's texting me from my work phone.
Response: just chillin at my apt
His response: You didn't have to work today?
My response: duh, half day Fridays. what are you up to?
Half day Fridays are the greatest thing about working for the Lord, by the way
His response: just waiting for some doors to be installed
My response: Doors? well just call me later.
His response: Ok


Well later came by and I didn't hear from Jake so I texted him (I used the number for Jake in my phone) and asked...
My text: Did you get the doors?
Jake: Doors?
My text: yeah, the ones you were talking about earlier

Well a bit later, my phone rings and its the number from the first set of text.
Emily: Hey!
fake Jake: Hey, this is Jake.
IT'S NOT MY JAKE! It's Jake, the new guy that came to my community group the Wednesday before. I try not to laugh. I try to make small talk but in my head I'm thinking, "Why is he texting me in the middle of the day?" and then I think, "Crap! I told him to call me later...that's all he was doing!" Needless to say I end up telling him I thought he was another Jake and apologized. Its a very uneasy feeling to hear a different voice than the one you are expecting.

***if you happened to grow up at FBC I can fill you in on part 2 of the story!

6 comments:

Marissa said...

I definitely want to hear Part 2!!

Mary Frances Satterwhite said...

I grew up at FBC... Can I hear part 2?

Jess(ica) said...

Gilmore Girls is the most awesomest show ever. It should be the only thing you watch! Well, as well as The Office and 30 Rock.

Would I know part 2? Prolly not. I only "grew up" there for about three years. Ha.

Melissa P. said...

ooohhhh...i want to hear part two!!!

Unknown said...

I'm definately in for part 2...do tell!

Just the Spechts said...

I'm in for part 2!!!!