Wednesday, April 09, 2008

remember when

Last night I had dinner with some old friends. At one point in time they weren't really my friends but simply the 7th grade girls I was assigned to stay with for a youth Labor Day retreat. To be honest, I was dreading that retreat. Lots of things had changed that summer and being with Jr. High girls sounded awful. Little did I know how much of an impact the Lord would use these amazing girls to make in my life.

These sweet girls are all grown up now and are graduating from high school. Last night we talked about proms, graduations, what college will be like next year, last church camps, etc. Though we've managed to stay somewhat in touch it had been 5 years since I had really sat down to talk to them. They continue to amaze me. 5 years suddenly felt like yesterday and I was right back where I was...laughing with them, learning with them, sharing stories of memory and advise. I'm so honored to call them friends.

Hearing them talk about prom and senior year and leaving school early because it just didn't matter anymore made me try and remember when I was senior. I think I learn a lot from looking back. I've been quite reflective lately. And after spending time with these girls, looking back over old pictures, reading old journal entries I'm thankful for so much of life. I wouldn't be the person I am today without all those things.

So...in the spirit of senior year...here is my tribute to the year 2000:
celebrating the fact we were all still alive after Y2K, boyfriends, skipping school to eat honey mustard and watch Days of our Lives, all arriving in the band parking lot for 1st period but not going and going to Mrs. Winners instead, Australia - the upgrade on the plane, the top of the Sydney bridge, Christina Aguilera - hickory hollow mall and the dance at camp, everyone's prom on the same night, crispy mnms, Friday night sleep overs, the best lunch table ever, Titans winning the AFC championship, spirit days at IHOP, warm sprite and granny white park...

I think the thing I love most about all these memories is that I'm still very good friends with the people I experienced each of these with. What a blessing!

what about you...what do you remember about your senior year?

1 comment:

Lele said...

senior year...friday night football games, skipping class to go sit in my mom's office, not having a 4th period so i could go out for lunch, homecoming, loading up my mom's tahoe full of people and driving around, driving back from auburn in 20 minutes to make curfue...and the list could go on and on...