Thursday, October 16, 2008

no better place

Trust. It's a constant battle for me. Ultimately I know it's OK to do it, but I'm far from being great at it. The Lord has made it a pretty clear theme in my life lately and so I'm doing my best to act on His call.

Monday morning I heard my boss and president of TBCH talk about stewardship...particularly as it pertains to this ministry (the Children's Homes) and the local church. (For you Baptists out there: When you give money to your church, you give money to the Children's Home in your state. I won't get started on a lesson about the cooperative program, just know that I support tithing!) He went on to talk about our new budget and the steps of faith we as a ministry are taking. Times are hard for everyone, even the Children's Home. We are now in a place where we are completely trusting on the Lord's provision when it comes to funds. It's never a good thing when your boss is telling you we are all out of money, but in this case, it seems to be. Though the future is uncertain God's provision for His ministry and His children is far from it. I felt my faith spring into action as he boldly said, "We've been trusting our savings account for too long. It's time to trust the only person worth trusting. God's provided for 118 years and think it's about time we trust Him to continue to do that." He went on to talk about how there is no place he would rather be than in a position of absolute trust and reliance for the Lord to provide.

Wow. If only I could say the same for my life. I agree with him 100%...no better place than only trusting Him. Do I live like that? no.

Last night in Bible Study we looked at Luke 9 when Jesus is sending out the 12. He is instructing them and empowering them. Here is what He says:

1When Jesus had called the Twelve together, he gave them power and authority to drive out all demons and to cure diseases, 2and he sent them out to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick. 3He told them: "Take nothing for the journey—no staff, no bag, no bread, no money, no extra tunic. 4Whatever house you enter, stay there until you leave that town. 5If people do not welcome you, shake the dust off your feet when you leave their town, as a testimony against them." 6So they set out and went from village to village, preaching the gospel and healing people everywhere.

You want to talk about a position of absolute trust. No money? no extra clothes? No food? For a person who likes to be in control and likes to pack with options this seemed like a lot to ask. I can see how He wanted them to have nothing but Him.

Reading this made me think about my friend Caitlin (soon-to-be blogger, get excited). She's going to Romania for 4 months to work with people in poverty. Besides various restrictions on make up, hair dryers, etc. she's been asked to only bring 3 pairs of pants...for 4 months ...and that's a with a season change. Though I'm not sure this is as much a matter of trust but about relating to those she is working with...it still hit me all the same.

When God sends us out (which I believe He does daily) He wants complete trust. Trust regarding money, food, clothes, the future, you name it. There's no better place. Now I just have to get there.

No comments: